Wednesday 28 November 2012

Pasta Sauce, Organic Horticulture.....& Hot Port


After last week's promising start to creating a suitable pizza using gluten-free bases, I decided to attempt making them for a second time. On this occasion, however, I was using thick crust bases, topping the pizzas with strained tomato sauce, cherry tomatoes, caramelized onion, pancetta and a french cheese made from goats milk. These toppings complimented each other perfectly. The bases although nice, were quite heavy. After careful consideration, I've decided that I prefer the thinner bases, used during my first trial.


Another meal made from alternative ingredients that turned out well, was a basic dish of pasta with sauce. We added kelkin tomato and red pepper pasta sauce to kelkin spaghetti, which is made from corn and rice. Nom nom nom. It went down so well that we're having it again for dinner tonight. Having cooked with this spaghetti on several occasions, we've realised that cooking it in a large saucepan with a lot of boiling water, is most effective. The spaghetti can have a lot of residue that comes off whilst being cooked, it comes out best once given a lot of water and space.


I have recently been eating lots of gluten-free bread and oaty, cereal bars. Being able to eat meals that I would have eaten before changing my diet but replacing them with suitable ingredients is much easier when on the go. In terms of gardening, I've been reading about and discussing gardening ideas with my friends and family. Aquaponics has been brought to my attention. The following website link, gives a good understanding of the concept and practice: Aquaponics.comI have also learnt about a great new course which is being offered in my much loved, UCC, the Masters in Organic Horticulture. It has only been started this past September, and it allows students to undertake classes in Liss Ard Estate, near Skibberren, whilst undertaking self-directed learnings from home. Sounds fab.

On a non-food and gardening related thread, I have discovered the best way to make hot ports. This may not sound like an important skill to have, but it can be a very handy to have when someone is feeling a bit under the weather in your household. In my opinion, it offers a much nicer alternative to the usual lemsip or tea with honey. Begin by slicing pieces of orange into segments and inserting cloves into them, as per the picture to the right. Add a good dash of port (as good quality as you can afford) to a glass, followed by boiling water, an orange segment, and brown sugar and honey to taste. I advise you drink the hot port with either a nice fire going beside you or wrapped up in a large duvet. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment